Friday & Friday Night:
- Nest #54 had 5 hatchlings just before noon, 2 dead hatchlings were found in the runaway at about 2:00 and 101 hatchlings boiled at about 2:30pm. Confused little things! Last night they had 1 more emerge at 8:30 pm.
- Nest #53 had a nice hole.Nest #65 had a large crater.
- Nest #57 Inventory
- Live Hatchlings-7
- Dead Hatchlings-1
- Pipped Eggs-9
- Unhatched Eggs-3
- Hatched Eggshells-86 + a handful of pieces
- Nest #53 had 7 emerge at 6:30 with Emerson and several Turtle Ambassadors keeping the birds away. More hatchlings were at the top of the nest, but without much action. We put a call in to the Sea Turtle Hotline and were advised to cover them back up and monitor closely.throughout the day.
- Nest #54 had 2 more hatchling tracks and a crab hole.
- Nest #55 hatched overnight with LOTS of tracks leading to the water.
- Nest #61 had 3 tracks in the runway and Morning Patrol saw 4 more hatchlings to the water.
- Nest #63 hatched overnight with LOTS of tracks, most heading to the water.
- Nest #65 had another large depression.
- Nest #46 had a crab hole.
- Nest #52 Inventory
- Live Hatchlings-0
- Dead Hatchlings-0
- Pipped Eggs-0
- Unhatched Eggs-9
- Hatched Egg Shells-100
- Three Cheers to Team 2 who have had some very long and late waits on their multiple nests all together! They were up last night with Nest #53 until 2:30 am and out again this morning when the call came at 6:30!
This conservation work for protected sea turtles on Caswell Beach is authorized by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission (ES Permit 21ST03)