Tuesday Night (Yay, no bugs!)
- Nest #65 Inventory (remaining hatchlings were stuck under heavy, wet sand. 4 were live pipped which emerged once they were brought out to the surface.)
- Live- 28
- Dead- 0
- Unhatched- 1
- Hatched Egg Shells- 97
- Pieces- 3 handfuls
- Matthew Godfrey gave special permission for Nest #68 to be excavated early due to large, open hole and heavy rains. It was definitely the right call! The remaining hatchlings were stuck under heavy, wet sand and sadly 9 had already perished.
- Nest #68 Inventory
- Live- 22
- Dead- 9
- Pipped- 4
- Unhatched- 8
- Hatched Egg Shells- 78
- Pieces- 1 handful
- Nest #69 had hatchlings emerge at about 9:10 pm. At least 1/2 were very disoriented with no obvious light source.
- Nest #59 FINALLY had hatchlings emerge overnight at Day 60! Unfortunately, there was also crab activity.
- Nest #73 had hatchlings emerge overnight at Day 50! Unfortunately, there was also crab activity and 1 head hatchling in the runway.
- Nest #69 had 3 crab holes.
- Nest #64 had 1 big crab hole.
**This conservation work for protected sea turtles on Caswell Beach is authorized by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission (ES Permit 22ST03).