I hope that everyone is okay. It feels like we, as an island in the path of a major hurricane, faired really well. Doesn’t look like much structural damage just limbs.
- We have lost a couple of nests.
- Nest 94 is gone, washed away. There was a couple of eggs and the cage in the dunes.
- Nest 97 had standing water during the king tides and was overwashed during the storm.
- The green nesting site was filled in with sand and water.
Remaining possible nests:
- Nest 89 is possible but not probable. It has an extra 5-6 inches of sand.
- Nest 96 is possible and because of stage of incubation, more hope than 89.
- Nests 95, 93 and 92 all look like they were overwashed but not terribly. We did put a couple of rolls of green at each of these. Please put the green out and check periodically but I wouldn’t be concerned about sitting.
- We could have more hatchlings….it’s possible. Regardless, we have had a very successful season already having released more than twice as many hatchlings as we would in any year.